2016. február 10., szerda

Buying a LED bulb, in other words: I would like to change my 10 year old fluorescent bulb

Hungarian version.

------------------------
UPDATE 2016.02.18: I have measured the power consumption of the LED bulb, it consumes 10,3W. The box says it consumes 12W, so I think we can not trust to the information on the box any more. I think in this way it does not give 1100 Lumen light. Of course I can not measure it. But it feels very bright and it is cheap.
------------------------

I had three 11W Philips fluorescent lamps in a room, from these, one burnt out around 6 month ago.
I am not sad, as I have bought them in 2006 for around 4,25 dollars each, in Hungary, in a DIY store called OBI. I know the exact date as I have written it on the bulb box and I still have it. So they have been used for 10 years now. At that time these were the most expensive E14 type fluorescent lamps. I have calculated that it would cost today 5 dollars each if we count inflation. They have 600 Lumen visible light quantities. I am very satisfied with them, however they give much less light recently than before. The fluorescent lamps give less and less light as they age. In the bathroom three 40W normal light bulbs gave more light than the two 11W fluorescent now. When the fluorescent ones were new they light power each was the same as a 60W normal light bulb.


So I have bought a LED bulb into the empty socket. But now I bought an E27 type which has a bigger socket compared to E14, as they have higher W output. So I had to buy an E14-E27 adapter as well. It is interesting how much an LED cost today. Here in Hungary a 20W power saving fluorescent Osram lamp costs 4,3 dollars. In the same store an 11W LED bulb with 1060 Lumen Osram costs 16,3 dollars! This is too much for an LED bulb for me. I was searching on the internet for other prices and I have found a Hungarian company where one LED bulb costs 6,5 dollars. It is 12 W 1100 Lumen with 2700 Kelvin. Its brand is: Life Light LED. I have bought one from these. We will see how long it will last. The strange thing is that the store gives three year guarantee for the bulb.

In principle it gives as much light as a 100W normal light bulb but with 12W power consumption. I took it home, put it in the socket and it has not lit up. Well I told myself I am screwed. But as it turned out, it was only because the adapter was not fit in my lamp, so it had no contact. I used some force and it began to light. Good enough for me.

So for first sight it has a very strong light, it may be true that it gives as much light as a 100W normal bulb. But I have not compared them next to each other, so this is just an opinion. The light does not flicker and it has warm light. Some say it is not enough warm, but I think it is.

I have noticed that the bulb is hot as hell! When I have touched it from simple curiosity, it burnt my hand! I do not know how long its electronics will bear this temperature. I think the electronics in it will fail sooner than the LEDs themselves.

If anything happens with the bulb I will update this blog post. As a memo: I have bought it on 05.02.2016. It has a three years guarantee.

The LED bulb costs 40% more than the fluorescent one, but it is more efficient because it gives more light with the same power consumption. I think LED is expensive, even if I bought a no name brand. It seems more of fashion than real thought behind the usage of LEDs today, but if it gets cheaper, then it is the best choice. I will see how long my bulb will last, of course we will never know if the good brand Osram would have lasted longer or not. We will see.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése